Thursday 4 July 2013

Old Fashioned glass

Before we are expanding on the ingredients, let’s first go back to the glassware again. Sure, from an entirely practical point of view, almost any glass could do. But you’d be missing the point of what a cocktail really is. It’s supposed to be an experience. All sorts of elements come together in a cocktail to make it something special, and that’s not only the ingredients. Preparation and presentation also contribute in a big way.
It’s entirely acceptable to improvise when choosing a glass. But at least think about what you’re doing. How will this drink look when I use this? How is this drink traditionally served anyway?

That’s why we are first going to add a type of glass to the bar: the Old Fashioned glass.
Also known as rocks glass or lowball glass, it’s short and wide, with a thick base.
It’s a tumbler glass, which means it doesn’t have a stem, but has a flat bottom.




Its name is a direct referral to the Old Fashioned, a cocktail which is always served in one of these glasses. As the name suggests, the Old Fashioned is a cocktail prepared just like the first cocktails were prepared: spirit, sugar, bitters and water. We’ll probably get to that one in time.
The sugar (and sometimes an orange peel) were muddled in the glass, so the thick base has a reason for being there, apart from the fact that it looks good.

And yes, from my point of view, an Old Fashioned glass looks very, very good. It’s simple. It’s solid. It’s stylish while still looking tough. It’s a great way for a lot of no-nonsense cocktails to be presented.
I drink my whisky from an Old Fashioned glass, even though I always drink it neat and never add ice. I know I should drink my whisky from a tulip glass, to get the most out of the aroma. A tulip glass also enables swirling. But what a tulip glass doesn’t have, is character.

Just my opinion, of course. Maybe I’m just old fashioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment